Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Games GDD

From reading the article 'Design Considerations' by Greg Aleknevicus I have found it very helpful in relation to understanding games and what necessities you should always have in them.
Image result for game design
As he said the article is not 'rules' for people who are seeking help, just suggestions. So I am going to narrow down a few suggestions that I found helpful and I will apply to my game:

  • use highly distinguishable colours in your game as many people suffer from colour blindness. With this in mind, he said to never have orange and red as player colours.
  • use shape as well as colours to distinguish pieces as a fair percentage of the population have trouble distinguishing colours and by adding shapes or graphics can help this tremendously.
  • make sure icons are distinct from each other as if you have a lot of icons and they are not that distinguishable it can cause confusion. 
  • use a legible font because you don't want it to be hard to read and cause confusion. It is important to choose a easy and clear font in a game.
This is some of the most basic and important rules that can be applied and taking into consideration with your game to improve it and avoid problems.

I read the additional readings and found the follow pages helpful:

2 comments:

  1. Howdy Katie,
    This was a nice and well put together blog post. I'm glad your found the article helpful, especially understanding that the article are not rules but suggestions. It should be of great help when it comes to developing your game, especially with the points you listed like colors, shapes, distinct icons and legible font. Well done on the blog post and I like forward to reading more in the future.
    Nathan Harte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    I really like your blog, I like how you listed out what you've learned, makes it feel like you actually read the blog and not glance at 5 words then started writing! I also like how you link the additional reading but what did you learn from them as well ? I'm just curious.

    Anyway can't wait to read your blog in the future !

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete