Saturday, October 19, 2019

Game Vision Statement

Game vision statement

Image result for games

Introduction: I want to create a platformer game that consists of a small man character trying to complete each level and reach the star at the end 

Target audience: the target audience for this game would preferably be gamers who enjoy platformer games such as Mario Bros, Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty and Street Fighter. I enjoyed platformer games so much when I was younger on my Nintendo, WII and xbox as I know a lot of other people were so I don't think that it would be hard for people to enjoy this easy game. The age range would most likely be from the age of thirteen to fourteen and onwards.

Game genre: After researching for the last while about what game idea want to follow through with I have decided to do the genre of a 'platformer game' This will consist of a small man character who tries to reach the end(a star) while avoiding different obstacles/challenges such as jumping over objects and collecting coins. These obstacles will include jumping over water and stones, reaching yellow coins along the way and trying to reach the star at the end of the game. 

I used https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Platformer/ to look at different and unique platformer games so that I could get a feel for different ones. I 

Game play: The game that I want to make will be set in a bright setting with a blue sky and green grass in the background. I want the game to be a bright game as I feel that it makes it look a lot more better and will be more enjoyable as it is happy and bright. The platform that the character is on will be a light brown stone looking ground. The character will be able to jump from place to place to reach the end goal- which is a star that makes a noise when you jump into it and once you reach that start you have completed the level. If you are near the star and don't touch it or jump into it, you have not completed that level. The goal for this game, like I said, is to reach the end and touch the star. There will be obstacles along the way such as having to jump over water, objects and stones and having to collect coins along the way. The game will be a 3-D game and it will be done  from the characters point of view. 

Resources required: The resources that are required in order to make this game would be a lot of YouTube tutorials on Unity, mainly Jimmy Vegas videos as I find that they really help me. I need these videos to help me create a good functioning game that is up to my standards. Features such as collecting coins along the way will be achieved by watching videos on how to do it on YouTube which are easily accessible.

The game is a single player game and it will be accessible on a PC.  

Just so that you can get an idea of platformer games on WikiPedia that I have linked below. I have found loads of games on different platforms such as WII, Nintendo, Play Station, XBOX, PC. These are a few examples of platformer games:
  • Adventure Island series.
  • Aero the Acro-Bat.
  • Akane the Kunoichi.
  • Aladdin.
  • Alien Carnage (Halloween Harry)
  • Amazing Princess Sarah.
  • Another World.
  • Shantae
  • Shovel Knight
  • Snow Bros
  • Space Panic
  • Speedy Eggbert
  • Strider
  • Superfrog
  • Super Mario Bros. series
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Techno Cop
I used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_platform_game_series  to find a few platformer games just so I could give an insight into what kind of game that I am talking about.

A few websites/videos that have helped me along the way with this whole project have been:

All in all it is going well for me while I make and research into my game that I want to do. I hope that it is an easy enough game to make as I don't want to make it too hard for myself, I want this game to be enjoyable for anyone who plays it. Like I said I also want it to be bright, happy and colourful as I feel that it gives the platformer game a more 'positive and happy' vibe




6 comments:

  1. well a good day to you Katie.

    So I have had a thorough read and examination of your game vision statement and I must say that this will be a really think that this will be a very very good game concept idea that you have here. A real Wow factor that I had gotten from this vision of yours is from the simplicity of the game and that it would feel like a true homage to the likes of classic Plat-formers games from the likes of the Mario games or of any other Plat-former games that I think that it just works so well.

    If there is a What moment that I had from reading this vision statement that you have written it would be of would there be a story or a particular type of characters that you would have to avoid in the world cause I got a bit confused to what the character is trying to avoid.

    And if there was a What If to this I would possibly suggest maybe add a different type of world as well to go with the one that you have suggested in your statement and to possibly maybe add a somewhat short but simple story to your game.

    But all in all, I think that your game idea is really interesting and sounds like a lot of fun and I hope that it all goes well for you.

    Cheerio!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie. I love the sound of your game, I also loved playing these sorts of games as a kid and think your idea is great!

    I would suggest maybe a more complex world for the game to be set in as platform games have now become more popular, more simple world designs tend to fade into the pool of similar types of games.

    I love the concept you have and I am impressed with your research.

    Best wishes with the development of your game!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie
    I loved the sound of your game i think it is a great idea.I would suggest maybe looking a another game world too.I love the concept you have and it is clear you have a really good vision and definitely think through with it.Best wishes with your blog and i look forward to seeing more.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie,

    Your game idea sounds great! You really seem ti know exactly what you want it to be like. After reading this blog, I can already imagine the type of game you're trying to create. Since I was younger, I have always loved platform games. I like the aim and goals you have planned out for the game. If I had to add anything into this, it would possibly be a small storyline just to keep the flow of things going. It sounds great though and I cant wait to see the finished product!

    -LM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katie

    I really love the sound of your game Idea .You really seem to be passionate about this concept and I feel that it is a good idea to both keep the design phase simple enough to make it easier on yourself but also to try little things to improve on the game overall. As they say it is the little things such as designs/ story ideas etc. Overall you seem to be doing great so I would say just go with the flow for now and improve a little each week, Best of luck in the coming weeks.

    -Dillon Eagers

    ReplyDelete